Here are 5 things vegans know help keep them healthy and they can be a part of any good diet. Best of all, they’re easy to include in your healthy eating plan.
1. Shop Fresh and Seasonally. When produce is in season, it is abundant. That means you can enjoy the freshest and best at a lower price. If you have a great and convenient farmer’s market, make it your stop for produce. But, even at the grocery store, seasonal produce is fresher, less expensive and more flavorful. Tomatoes will be red, ripe and delicious. That carrot won’t just be crunchy – it will have a natural sweet flavor. Look for your favorites and include big servings of fruits and veggies in your meal planning – no matter what else is on the menu.
2. Fat can be Good for You! And, it’s something that vegans do right. They look for sources of healthy fats. They might top a salad with flax or hemp seeds to increase the amount of omega-3 fatty acids in their diet. Omega-3 fats work to keep your body healthy from the formation of cell membranes to the production of hormones. You’re probably getting them in fatty fish like salmon, but adding those seeds to your salad is easy and good for you. And, don’t forget those great-tasting nuts like walnuts, cashews and almonds. They make a very healthy snack.
3. Let Fiber Fill you Up. It’s a great way to feel full and satisfied. Vegans usually have more fiber in their diet than meat eaters. Make your fiber healthy – not white pasta. Think ancient grains, fresh veggies and fruit, legumes and those nuts and seeds. Putting more emphasis on fiber will help you avoid unhealthy things like processed foods and snacks.
4. Consider a Supplement. No diet is perfect. Vegans look to supplements to make up for things like B12 that may be missing in their diet. That may not be your concern but there may be another area where your diet is lacking. Talk to a dietitian or your doctor and see if they think a supplement would be beneficial as an addition to your diet.
5. Protein comes in Plants, too. Many of us think meat when we think protein, but plant-based protein is another option. Think about replacing animal-protein with something like a three-bean chili. Protein is digested more slowly than carbs so you feel satisfied longer and that can help you cut calories. Replacing a couple of meat-based meals a week with plant-based protein is a good way to improve your diet – and your health.
If you know that you need more than just healthier eating habits to improve your health…if you need to start getting healthy by reducing and getting back to a healthy weight, a medical weight loss center may be the help you need. The weight loss center helps you lose weight under the supervision of a medical doctor who is a weight loss specialist. You’ll get personalized help and prescription diet aids if needed. Plus, you’ll work with a trained, expert staff. Lose the weight. You can find a weight loss center in your hometown. Change bad habits. Learn from the vegans and become a healthier you!