Replacement windows are a major purchase – and a long term investment in the value of your home and in your comfort. Here are 5 steps to take to make sure you get the best possible bid from a company you can trust.
1. Check The Essentials. Before you call window replacement companies for bids, check out the companies you are considering. Do they have the appropriate licenses and credentials required by your state? What is their standing with the local Better Business Bureau? You can also check online reviews and ratings. Get a feel for how the business does business before you decide which companies you will call for bids.
2. Make The Call. This should be the start of a good relationship. Tell them how many windows you will be replacing. Let them know that you are looking for value – not just the lowest price. If someone referred you or you have seen and liked their work, tell them. Present yourself as a serious buyer and, then, you can expect a professional response. Contractors are looking for a good job, a good customer and, hopefully, future referrals.
3. Ask For A Proposal That Includes Options. You don’t just want a bid with a total price. You want to understand what windows and frames you are buying. Ask if the company has a good, better, best option and what the price difference is. Will your windows be a brand name or skare they manufactured locally? Ask for any product information such as brochures or fact sheets that the company may have.
4. Protect Yourself. Ask about warranties and guarantees that cover your windows. Know if you have the right to rescind without penalty. But, you want to know more than that. Ask if the potential contractor carries both liability and workmen’s compensation insurance. You don’t want to be responsible if a worker is injured during the installation process so make sure that the company covers this liability.
5. Get The Details. They say the devil is in the details so make sure there’s no unpleasant surprise waiting for you. Before you sign a contract, read it carefully. Ask the important questions. How long will it take for your windows to be manufactured? When will they be installed? How long will the install take? What are the terms of payment? Are the manufacturer’s warranty specifications spelled out along with any installation warranties or guaranties? Dot your “I’s” and cross your “T’s” and get ready to enjoy a home that has lower utility costs and provides better year round comfort.
Choose the window replacement company your do business with as carefully as you choose the windows they will install. Do your part by being a good customer and expect a cordial, professional relationship in return.